The Link Leaders consist of a pair junior and/or senior mentors for a small group of freshman. We currently have over 120 Link Leaders serving for our inaugural 2017-18 group. Link Leaders receive training and support from staff supervisors of the program.
Staff Supervisors of the Link Crew program:
- Jasdeep Malhi – email@example.com
- Hasmig Minassian – firstname.lastname@example.org
- John Villavicencio – email@example.com
From the website, boomerangproject.com, here are its main aspects:
Link Crew is a year long transition program with four components that contribute to its success:
- High School Orientation – Link Leaders and freshmen start building the mentor relationship and freshmen receive information about how to be successful in high school
- Academic Follow Ups – Link Leaders support freshman academic success and character development through structured classroom visits
- Social Follow Ups – Link Leaders and freshmen connect outside the classroom at social events to increase student engagement, and promote positive school climate
- Leader Initiated Contacts – Link Leaders connect with their freshmen on a more individual basis
Two natural by-products of Link Crew are a strong sense of character development and the emergence of an anti-bullying environment. Because students are more connected to each other, involved in their school and empowered to make a difference, they develop empathy, a respect for others and the courage to stand up for and take care of fellow students.
Berkeley High School Orientation Information for SY 17-18
Seniors – Monday, Aug. 21
Juniors – Tuesday, Aug. 22
Sophomores – Wednesday, Aug. 23
Last Name A – G 8:30 to 10:00 am
Last Name H – O 10:00 to 11:30 am
Last Name P – Z 1:00 to 2:30 pm
10th, 11th, 12th graders are to report to the Jacket Gym. Please note that doors will be closed from 11:30 – 1:00
Freshmen Orientation and Registration
Last Names A – K Thursday, August 24, 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
Last Names L – Z Friday, August 25, 8:00 am – 1:00 pm
Incoming 9th graders should report to the Donahue Gym by 8:00 am for the start of their orientation. Each orientation will consist of an assembly, small group sessions facilitated by Link Leaders, and a campus tour, in addition to students receiving their schedule, photo ID, textbooks and locker assignment. Link Leaders are trained upperclassmen who will guide a group of 9th graders through orientation until the end of the school year. Students should bring a lock to place on their locker.
Make-Up Registration Session Thursday, August 24, 1:30-3:00 pm
Doors will open at 1:30 and close at 3:00
New to BHS 10-12th grades — Mini-orientation on Friday, August 25
Please contact Student Activities Director “Mr V.” firstname.lastname@example.org for more info on how to sign up.
First Day of School, Tuesday, August 29, 8:27 a.m. There is no “0” period on this day only.