BHS Holiday Meal 2017 will be dedicated to former BHS Chef Will Harris who passed away in February 2015. He graciously gave his time and energy to this event to make it happen much more smoothly than it ever would have without his presence.
Nishat Sheikh, Chief of Service, and her committee are organizing the Holiday Meal this year to prepare for this amazing event where 300-400 meals are served. There is a preparation and set-up shift on Friday, December 8th while the actual meal will be served on Saturday, December 9th from 12:30 pm – 3:00 pm. Our goal this year is to surpass 15,000 pounds of donated food and funds. Here is how you can help.
We are in the most need of canned goods, prepared food, and donations for the toiletry drive. Any extra Thanksgiving ingredients lying in your cabinets would make a great contribution to the meal. Please consider sending your student to school with a few cans to drop off at the bins located outside of the leadership office in the main building.
The following video and photo links demonstrate the magnitude and impact of the meal, if you have not been a part of it before.
- BHS Holiday Meal 2016 Photo’s
- BHS Holiday Meal 2015 Photo’s
- BHS Holiday Meal 2014 Photo’s
- BHS Holiday Meal 2013 Video
- BHS Holiday Meal 2012 Video
The volunteer list will be open beginning November 13.
Volunteers should sign up on our online form here.
Fresh Items Needed:
Please sign-up here to bring fresh food donations for the meal.
Link to be posted in early December.
- Turkeys (at least 20 needed)
- Hams (at least 10 needed)
- Desserts (Pumpkin and assorted pies, cookies)
- Bread (Rolls, loaves, Corn bread)
- Salads (Various salads w or w/o cheese, nuts, dressing) Yams/Sweet Potatoes/Mashed
- Butter (3 pounds needed)
- Onions, Garlic, Spices, Herbs, and other assorted seasonings
- Any Fresh hot or cold dish that you can lovingly donateFresh food donations can be delivered between 4:30pm-8:00 pm on Friday, December 8 or 8am-12pm of Saturday, December 9 to the main doors of the school at Milvia and Allston. There is a loading zone located here. Please indicate what time you would like deliver your donation.
Canned Foods Needed:
Please bring in amount of the following types of canned foods.
*If you have any questions please ask Mr. Villavicencio or Nishat Sheikh in the Leadership Office.
- Beans (Kidney, garbanzo, black, green, baked, refried) Corn
- Chili (Vegetarian, beef)
- Soup (Chicken Noodle)
- Cranberry Sauce
- Pumpkin Pie filling
- Tomato Sauce or Diced Tomatoes
- PastaMacaroni Noodles
Other Items Needed:
- Cooking Oil (Olive oil or vegetable oil)
- Coffee, juice, tea, or other beverages
Toiletry, toy and blanket drive will take place from November 1 to December 9. With the winter season on it’s way we want to help the homeless community stay warm. We plan to give donations to students in transitional housing here at Berkeley High and give the remainders out during the Holiday Meal. We will have bins for donations placed throughout Berkeley High including near the Leadership Office and in the C-Gallery. We are asking people to donate new or gently used blankets and new toiletries including:
- feminine hygiene products
- Kleenex packs
- disposable razors
- shaving cream
Thank you so much for considering a contribution or for volunteering at the event.
Have a great day!